***Note This If You Want To Go To The SPE National Conference***
Midwest Society for Photographic Education
Regional Scholarship Opportunity
SPE National Conference, March 10–13, 2011 in Atlanta, GA
The Midwest Region of the Society for Photographic Education is offering scholarships for students and adjunct instructors to attend the 2011 national conference, Science, Poetry and the Photographic Image. Each scholarship consists of a $500 travel award and a national conference fee waiver in each category: undergraduate student, graduate student and adjunct instructor. Scholarship recipients will be notified by December 15, 2010.
• All student applicants must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in a 2 or 4-year undergraduate or graduate program within the Midwest SPE Region and not graduating before the end of the 2009-2010 academic year.
• All adjunct (part-time) applicants must teach at a 2 or 4-year degree granting program within the Midwest SPE Region. If you are a current graduate student and instruct part-time, you may only choose one category to enter.
• Applicants are not required to be current members of SPE to apply, but recipients must become a member to receive the award and attend the national conference.
• Previous recipients of the MWSPE Scholarship are not eligible again for period of four (4) years following receipt of the award.
• Each award recipient will also have the opportunity to present his or her work at the next Midwest SPE Regional Conference in the fall of 2011.
Please follow these guidelines closely, incomplete submissions will not be considered.
1. Five (5) images from a cohesive body of work produced after January 1, 2010. (Adjunct submissions must consist of 10 images.)
a. All images submitted must contain a generic sRGB profile, 72 ppi, longest side 1280 px using the jpeg format.
b. Please title each image with the number, underscore, your last name, underscore, and title. (Example: 01_LastName_Title.jpg)
2. A letter and documentation addressing:
• Student Applicants: a brief resume including your name, address, phone number, email address, institutional information, contact information for your current photography professor (name, title, email and phone number), and any additional education or related experience.
• Adjunct Applicants: a two page CV including your name, address, phone number, email address, and institutional affiliation. Please include contact information for the program coordinator or department chair.
• All Applicants:
a. How your attendance at the national conference will benefit you,
b. An artist statement for the work submitted (please keep this under 350 words),
c. A short description of the technical qualities/processes and conceptual foundation of your
d. An image list of corresponding work (example: 01 Title of Image, date, medium, size),
e. A scan or photograph of your student ID or faculty/staff ID,
f. All saved and submitted in PDF format.
2. All application materials should be sent as a zipped or compressed file via email and Mac OS X
All submissions must be emailed to email@example.com with the scholarship you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to include the scholarship (e.g.: Undergrad, Grad, Adjunct, etc.) will be automatic grounds for disqualification.
NOTE: Please make sure you include the correct submission category.
Submissions must be received by November 12, 2010 at 11:59 pm EST.
Mark Malloy is a photographer, educator, and mentor, and served as SPE Southeast Chair from 2006- 2009. After teaching eight years at Appalachian State University, he is now head of RENEGADE Studios, in Los Angeles. His work has been exhibited internationally, including at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. For more information see http://markmalloy.com.